The letter

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan
29
“Till we meet again, Let my heart rest content in this knowledge
I will love you, always and forever.”

The first time I read those words, they felt so corny and filmy. I used to find it so peculiar, the way you always ended your letters with those lines. I think I even teased you about it once. I’m glad you didn’t stop writing those words. Because I realised the beauty in those simple words gradually.
It seems like we’ve always been writing letters to each other, hasn’t it ? Even when were growing up together, you always used to send me little written messages in class and I always used to reply to them. I was amazed to see that you had saved them all from so many years ago. Did you always know we were destined to end up together?

Marrying you is the best thing I have ever done. Being in the army teaches you to love your nation, but nothing compares to the whole hearted, unconditional love that one feels for an individual. In you, I find a reason to be alive, to continue when all seems lost, to believe in angels when faced with the threat of devils.

I love you. You know that by now. When I look back through all that life has thrown at me, the best moments are the ones I shared with you. It is in the happiness of coming back to you. It is in the joy of seeing you smile. It is in the kisses unseen and secrets unspoken that we alone share. It is in wanting to be a better person for your sake.

I always wonder about the future : what our kids would look like, where we will go for our next holiday together, how you will look as you age and whether you will still love me when I grow fat and have white hairs.

I’m not a fool. I know there’s no point in thinking of all this. It’s been a year since you’ve gone. Every day I suffer through the memory all over again. The call from your parents. The irony of it all – being away to defend the country’s borders only to lose the most precious person in my life to some random moment of madness of people unknown , looking to support their corrupt political leader by causing riots. None of it mattered, of course. You are a faceless victim to them all. That man is still free and running the city while we are separated for life.

There are a lot of young folk where I serve presently. Whenever they talk about home, I tell them not to neglect the ones they love. I tell them not to be afraid to tell the ones they love how they feel and not worry how it may make them dependent and vulnerable. Because that feeling of dependence on the one you love is no crutch – it is a loving shoulder on which they can rest their head when they feel they can’t carry on. The way being with you made all my worries disappear. 
I see the pity in their eyes. I wish I could make it more clear to them. I wish they would look beyond the pity and pain and see the one thing that gets drowned when my eyes start to tear up – the truth in my words.

Friends still set me up with new girls. They tell me it’s time to move on. Move on from where, I wonder ? How can you move on when your reason to be alive no longer exists ? They do set me up at functions... rich girls, talkative girls, sweet girls, beautiful girls, modern girls... all kinds of girls. They’re all that... but as you used to say whenever you caught me staring at anyone else, “they’re not you.”

I’m scared. What if I was destined to be with you and I lost my chance forever? What if I never find someone else like you? How can I trust my heart to try to feel for someone else the way I felt for you? And how can I expect her to love me inspite of my flaws... the way you did – the way you’d place your head under the pillow to drown out my snores? Or the way you hated my 5 o’clock shadow but still kissed me anyway ? Or the way you’d readily give up the Tv remote and your favourite serials so that I could watch the match? ( It was much later that I realised that you would watch the reruns the next morning so you never really missed anything – to think of all the dishes you made me wash in return!! )

The truth is I’m lost. I’m still finding myself and what I am without you. I’m steadily realising that I may never be as great a person as I felt when you were beside me. I’m sitting alone at my desk – our desk and writing this, just as you probably sat here many nights writing to me while I was away. There are so many more things to say to you, but they mean nothing unless you are right beside me.

I grew up with you. I grew in love with you. 
I wish every day I could have grown old with you.

“Till we meet again, Let my heart rest content in this knowledge
I will love you, always and forever.”

R.


Author’s note :  I loved to write letters when I was younger. Even in this blog, I still get the random comment years later from people who loved the letter “To the Stranger I love”. I always wondered what would be a good reason to write a letter again . I finally figured I’d go for the exact opposite of the first post : where earlier, it was a letter from a guy to a girl he hasn’t met yet who he promises to love, I wanted this to be from a guy who has been touched by love and having lost it, fears he may never get it again. 

Post a Comment

29Comments

Let me know what you think.

  1. another nice one Doctor...

    loved the subtle humor in the heart touching letter :) *all the dishes you made me wash* :D

    good one... i think i ll make a shameless plug of my similar letter http://www.tantrumzz.com/2009/01/love-is_09.html

    so there :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. its scary to think you might never find 'The One'... scarier to imagine loosing them after getting.

    but I guess you'll have those memories left etched in ur heart, giving u a reason to live..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one!! Loving and loosing the loved ones is one of the baddest things that could happen to anyone..
    That is the sole reason am not proposing to the One!!! (Not because of the fact that she is already with someone really strong!!)
    Btw the last post was about arranged marriage.. This one a touching love letter.. I think your subconscious mind is getting desperate for something!!(or is it your conscious mind?? :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ratzzz... everyone pls do check out her blogpost.. i was there a yr ago and i loved it :)

    Quakeboy. Sometimes the memories can get you through, sometimes they can hold u bak.. depends on how u view them :)

    Rohan.. thats never a valid reason not to propose.. oh, ya the latter part ( shes already got a guy whos an ox ) now, thats a reason !!!

    And hey, didnt notice the chain of events u pointed out.. as to whether my subconscious is saying something.. well, there are ppl who will vouch that i dont have enuf brains to "have a conscious, let alone subconscious side"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool one Pytho.. really loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a real touching one, doc. Especially these times, where people knows not what unconditional love is... and for those whom love has to be practical and programmed, and for some freaks for whom love is that 3 letter word, this letter goes out to them. Yes, it is there. Still rare and precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shyam, thanks man.. no news for so long...

    Anita, amen to that thought

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember having put up a comment about the earlier letter on the MJ post... wasn't very blog savvy then.. :)

    This one is a deserving sequel and the beauty of your letter is that it brings out the unspoken ironies of political victories...

    And, in the end, it is not those faceless victims, but the puppets representing their so called "nations" who wear the garland of victory?

    What about these millions of defeats lost in that one victory? As Rhett Butler would say, "Frankly dear, nobody cares!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. ankita, again.. I barely grazed through that topic, but frankly it is one that deserves a proper post... The nameless victims of these idiots shenanigans.. Sadly, nothing really changes..

    Sir, hehe.. The easiest solution. I just wonder often whether its so easy to do that.. This post was pretty much a continuation of those thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They say it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. At times, I really think that should be true. What are we to do with those hanuting memories otherwise ? :) I hope you live your life with the (as the world says) 'THE ONE'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fear of losing the one you love shouldn't keep you away from falling in love anyways...It's not the quantity of time you spent together that counts but the quality of those moments shared that are to be cherished for life...
    I quote PurpleHeart as i repeat...
    They say it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww... that was soo touching..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Purpleheart, haha.. touchwood. You and Wordlywise are absolutely right, of course. Anyday, it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...

    Meety, Thanks. I was aiming for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Athe... can u please write funny and happy and glad and sarcastic and hilarious?

    Enough of crying and dying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thus was one of those Aaaaaaaaaaw blog posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. SS. Yes,ma'am. Sorry ma'am. It won't happen again ma'am :)

    Nitisha, thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dr... that sounds better, like a good disciplined boy! :P :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. yup.. can you please send your home address so that i can send you a nice gift wrapped parcel... it may sound like its ticking and all that but dont worry... its uh, just a clock.. thats all.. no bomb attached. Promise !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please make a note,

    $$,
    Vidhan Soudha,
    Bangalore.

    Please don't forget to include your address and mobile no too!

    have a good evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good one!!I really liked the way you expressed it...lets complete you r following list to 100..:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. SS, Thanks ya.. I'll be sure to mention you during the "interviews" :)

    Harman, yeeeah !!! Congrats !! You get me to 100 and in return, you get the unique distinction.. you're comment number 3000 at this site :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. A Pythoroshan fanOctober 22, 2010

    Hey since u r the biggest (pun unintended) Kim Kardashian fan i have ever known, i just wanted to know if u celebrated her 30th b'day

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm celebrating the old fashioned way : sending a hitman to kill any male who tries to flirt with her... Cause i care ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Pythoroshan,
    Good Evening!
    A strange name and along one.Shall I call u Roshan?
    I can relate so well with your letter.I was and am fond of writing letters-very long letters.Now I am doing that in my blog-the long posts.:)
    Enjoyed reaing your post and yeah,got thrilled[what for]?
    Your comment will be answered at my space and the new post will be publishe dtomorrow and I'm sure u may have to relate so well.:)
    Wishing you a lovely night,
    Sasneham,
    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,
    I am absolutely in love with your posts...
    Do they still make more of you who actually write letters to their beloveds?
    This one’s the mushiest I have ever seen*except some of the un-posted n un-claimed n un-named ones that I have written which might give u some competition*

    A fabulous read...great note to start the Karvachauth on today:-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Naaa.. God broke the mould after me :)

    As for the competition.. hehehe "BRING IT ON" :D

    Happy Fasting ( is that an oxymoron ? )

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is so mushy and touching...

    lol at the serial reruns while you get to do the dishes thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks Aparna.. was going for the "mushy" and "touching" type of letter.. the "serial" bit is just the normal me :)

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment