Goosebump moments

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan
33
Just a random list but one I'd like you all to add to...
Tell me specific movie moments that really gave you goosebumps while watching them.
They maybe moments of horror, shock or just pure romance... have I left out any other genre/style ?

Here are some I catalogued ( I had a lot of time to think these out since I'm only studying for the biggest university exam of my life !! What better time for the mind to not focus, eh ? )
Anyway, tell me what you think of them.. and your own opinions. I'll add yours along.

In no particular order :
1. Dirty Dancing : At the ending when the music of "I've had the time of My life" begins and Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey start dancing .. that is just such a romantic moment. This was one of my all time favourite romantic numbers. ( Ironic how it's an English song and not a Hindi one that enters this list )

2. Transformers : A movie with Megan Fox in it and I get goosebumps for a metallic red truck... no wonder I'm single !! But honestly, the orchestra in the background in this scene is mindblowing and the first time Optimus Prime rides out through the smoke and then transforms always gives me goosebumps. Due credit to Micheal Bay and Steven Spielberg for the rebirth of this cartoon series in such a wonderful format.





3. Star Trek : Speaking of rebirth of a dead series, how can I not include this one ? The moment I choose ? But of course, the ending moments when Spock's tiny ship is on a collision course with the Romulan's huge vessel and the latter "fires everything" they have. There's a moment there where you have no idea how Spock's gonna get out of this one and Nero, the Romulan leader smiles.
(SPOILER ALERT)
The scene is shot beautifully like a painting almost for a few seconds showing all the lasers and missiles and ping pong balls ( whatever ! ) flying towards Spock's ship. And then.. well, the Enterprise just redefines the term "coming in with all guns blazing" as they warp in blind and fire down all the missiles like it were a shooting range. ( I can't find the video for this online sadly.. Sorry. )

4. Jab We Met : Weird choice ? Maybe. But this was a movie I really liked. There were so many genuine moments in there, unlike so much crap that releases in the name of Bollywood. Anyway, for me, the scene is without doubt the starting of the lyrics of "Tum Se hi" when Shahid is about to enter an office and then the lights dim and he sees Kareena in his mind's eye. Mohit Chouhan's voice is just magical there.

5. Love Aaj Kal : Two Imtiaz Ali films back to back ? Oh well. Anyway, for me this was the most romantic moment of the movie and a very sweet scene.. ( the girl being such a cutie-pie helped , of course ) It's the scene where 'old' Saif travels to Kolkata to see the girl he loves and has never talked to. Her response on seeing him and more importantly, her response to his gift - too good.

6. Saw : Okay, enough lovey dovey... back to the 'blood shed' goosebumps. What can I say about that signature tune.. everytime ( 6 movies till date ) that damn music starts to play at the end of the movie, you realise you've been fooled by the psychopath Jigsaw.
(SPOILER ALERT )
But the best still remains the shock at the end of the first part when the guy's killed the 'bad guy', cut his own leg off the chains and then gone for help and the remaining survivor finds a tape in the bad guy's pocket - a sign that he's just another victim like them... and then the 'rotting corpse gets up'.
P.S. (BLASPHEMY ALERT) Okay, I'll say it out loud : In my book, Jigsaw is a more scarier villian than Hannibal anyday.

7. My Best Friend's Wedding : What can I say ? I just really wanted Julia Roberts to end up happy in that movie. And so when the "call" comes as she sits all forlorn at the wedding reception after failing to break up the marriage and the music changes.. my grin was probably longer than Julia's herself !

8. Avatar : Again, a much maligned film before it's release ( Smurfs vs Humans. Seriously, somebody said that !! ) that made everyone eat humble pie. This was to our generation what Star Wars and it's effects were to the 70s, I guess, in terms of redefining cinema. So what scene do I choose from this movie ? So many beautiful moments were there.
For me, it's the battle sequence where the Na'vi appear to be defeated and Neytiri hides behind a tree, about to disobey Jake Sully's orders and enter what would be a suicidal attack. And then, a moment of silence as the humans seem to sense something coming... and the animals of Pandora attack, defending their land.

9. Almost had me moments : These moments had me the first time around but now the effect seems to have dimmed. Nevertheless, they're worthy contenders :

  • The ending of "Se7en" when you start to realise what's really in the box.
  • "You've got mail" when Meg Ryan finally sees Tom Hanks and realises it's "been him all along" with "Somewhere over the rainbow" playing in the background. "I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly." Awww.... gave me goosebumps again while watching it now before linking. Hehe..

That's all I can think of for now. So tell me, what've you got ?


EPILOGUE :
Here are your votes so far :
Dr Pranab and Sigma add the moment in Notting Hill where Julia Roberts, a superstar in the movie, tells Hugh Grant, a bookshop keeper "I'm just a girl standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me." Dr Prashant Sir reminisces on how it once did give him goosebumps but not anymore.

Sandheep speaks of the death of Optimus Prime in the animated Transformers movie. Many may not get that, unless you're a kid of the 80's like the two of us.

Indu adds two more wonderful scenes to the list.
First, in Love Aaj Kal, when Saif Ali loses it as he realises that Deepika is really getting married to someone else and just keeps talking.
Second is Forrest Gump where Tom Hanks places the letter his son wrote to Jenny.

Rohan adds the ending of The Usual Suspects and the moment in The Godfather where Micheal stands as a godfather to his sister's child.

Brocasarea ( such a cool name if you're a medico ) chose the training sequence in Rocky 3, the climax of Saw 1, the desert fight scenes of Transformers 1 and most importantly, the oath taking scene of Gadar.. yeah !!

Sigma chirps in with some lovely scenes that I just had the joy of watching after she mentioned it..
"1.The Blind Side ( really underrated film )
After Leigh Anne buys him a bed
Big Mike says "I never had one before and Leigh Anne asks "What, a room?" and he replies " No, a bed."

2. P.S.I Love You
Gerry says holding Holly " What do you want? I know what I want, cause I'm holding it in my hands."

Mad adds in some brilliant scenes here as well.
1. Taal - at the end of the "Ishq Bina" song, the look that Aishwarya gives Akshaye Khanna as he drinks from her bottle of Coke.
2. Gladiator - Russell Crowe revealing himself to the emperor.."My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius."
3. Lagaan - the scene where all 11 players come together and stand to face the British guy.
4. Minnale - When Madhavan sees Reema Sen for the first time dancing in the rain - with the background music.

Vinni adds the moment in I am Legend where Will Smith and the dog enter the old building and first encounter the zombie.

Sourcebound adds a superb collection of moments many had not considered till now :
1. The climax of 'big fish'

2. The solo race by Antony Hopkins in 'the world's fastest Indian'

3. The first five minutes of the pixar Movie 'up'

4. carrie ann moss shouting 'we are humans' when others agree to kill an innocent child to retrieve information from a potential terrorist in'unthinkable'

5. the children watching peter pan in 'finding never land'

6. the ending of 'pan's labrynth'

7. the fight of hit girl at the end of 'kick ass'

8. when i realized what will smith is up to in 'seven pounds'

9. Gandalf riding out to save faramir in 'Lord of the rings'

10. He also adds a moment from the TV show "Lost"... "Charlie scratching on a small paper about the most beautiful moments of his life before taking a journey of no return for his friends to the underwater swan station. I think it was the last episode of season 3 'not penny's boat''

Post a Comment

33Comments

Let me know what you think.

  1. The scene that brought a tear to my eye that I remember to this day is when Optimus Prime dies for the first time (in the cartoon movie) I think I may have been scarred for life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya, I remember that... I remember thinking during the second movie ( Revenge of the fallen) that the 'cartoon was better than the movie'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Notting Hill. Julia and Hugh standing in the travel book shop, with Hugh waxing eloquent about his insecurities and all. And Anna Scott shoots: "I am also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her..."

    What I would give to hear those words from a girl again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that was a good list. That metallic red truck was too much to take though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Aaj Kal
    The scene when saif realizes that deepika is getting married. Though she would hve called him to talk, he does all the talking while she watches him in silence.

    The kolkatta scene yet again..

    Forest Gump
    When forest places the letter his son wrote for jenny..with birds flying past in the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly I haven't seen any of the english movies in your list :-(

    Hangs Head in Shame

    ReplyDelete
  7. my grin was probably longer than Julia's herself !

    Me too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pranab... "again" ? You lucky dog , you :)

    Arpita, Boys will be boys..

    Illeen, agree with the Forrest Gump moment

    Prats, surely there must be some Hindi film moments you remember..

    Aathira, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Recently had a 'revision' of Notting Hill.. Look what age makes the difference, say some 8 years back the same shot mentioned by pranab was prototype dream...had almost finalised the lines for a propose... But now, 5 yrs into the marriage, you tend to forget these small infatuations of yours...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My NEW GOOSEBUMP moment:

    you mentioned me in a blog post, on your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    *swoons*

    **goosebumpy** (don't forget 'em!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Drprashant sir

    so it is true, what they say about marriages???????????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sir, for that I still have to hunt for that poor girl in true "coconut climber" style..

    Pranab, down boy down !! Don't make me get a restraining order on ya :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. nothing beats transformers and saw[one].....!!!....:)

    nice list there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The climax scene of The Usual Suspects!! How can any1 forget it??
    Den der is the scene in Godfather part 1 where Michael stands godfather to his sister's child. .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brocasarea, thanks..you didn't add to it.. what moments can you think of ?

    Rohan, totally agree. Usual Suspects and Godfather both.. infact, I guess there are many scenes in the Godfather alone, right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. True! Its the mother of al classics!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A romantic, aren't you :P
    Don't remember any...not a movie buff at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes Meira, I'm a die hard romantic.. thats why I choose red trucks and scenes with sawed off legs and heads in it.. the red in the blood just brings out the romantic poet in me :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. rocky3 training section
    saw1 climax
    transformers1 desert fight scenes
    gadar oath taking scene [pakistan murdabad one]..nothing beats this!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I share your opinion/feeling for Julia in My best friend's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. N here are my best goosebump moments

    The Blind Side
    After Leigh Anne buys him a bed
    Big Mike says "I never had one before and Leigh Anne asks "What, a room?" and he replies " No, a bed."

    P.S.I Love You
    Gerry says holding Holly " What do you want? I know what I want, cause I'm holding it in my hands."

    Notting hill :
    Well you can refer to Pranab's comment on that...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brocas, gotcha.. haha.. Gadar had that one scene where Sunny screams at the army holding a water pump and they all run away.. shal I include that too as a bonus :0

    Meet, Slap me. I have both movies but have yet to get around to watching either of them... now that exams are done, gonna be a movie spree

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1) Taal - At the end of "Ishq bina" song, Akshay Khanna drinks out of the coke bottle that ash was drinking.. The way she looks at him - AWESOME..

    2) Gladiator - When Russel Crowe reveals himself in front of the emperor.. That dialogue "My name is Maximus Decimus Meredius............." gave me goosebumps..

    3) Lagaan - When all the 11 Indian 'players' come together & stand face to face against the british guy...

    4) Minnale - When Madhavan sees Reema Sen dancing in the rain-the background song(+music)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome list, Mad.. totally missed these.. loved both Gladiator and Minnale moments personally too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Totally agree with the moments mentioned from 'Lagaan' and 'My best Friend's Wedding'.
    And yes, I too was thinking of the precise scene from Notting Hill from the moment I started reading the post.
    Watched 'lage Raho Munnabhai' the other day and it has some awesome moments too. Everytime his suggestion worked, I was left grinning ear to ear..with the background score helping in the process.

    BTW: I have an exam coming up, and I guess it shows in my raised frequency of blogging and tweeting :D Haha..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Arps, my blogging frequency, tweeting and overall Facebook usage hit the roof around the time of university exams.. totally expected..

    ReplyDelete
  27. hmmmm. there was a scene in I am Legend. Where is goes after his dog to the old building, and the zombie is looking at both of them and comes jumping at them.

    I jumped a few feet into the air, before i fell down and broke the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The climax of 'big fish'

    The solo race by Antony Hopkins in 'the world's fastest Indian'

    The first five minutes of the pixar Movie 'up'

    carrie ann moss shouting 'we are humans' when others agree to kill an innocent child to retrieve information from a potential terrorist in 'unthinkable'

    the children watching peter pan in 'finding never land'

    the ending of 'pan's labrynth'

    the fight of hit girl at the end of 'kick ass'

    when i realized what will smith is up to in 'seven pounds'

    Gandalf riding out to save faramir in 'Lord of the rings'

    ReplyDelete
  29. Vinni, good one.

    Sourcebound.. superb. You've added a great list.. simply because they're all good moments and original too.. even after so many comments before this, noone had picked these..

    ReplyDelete
  30. Doc you encouraged me to write one more. its from a TV series which seldom have such moments as grand and goose bumpy as movies. But this TV series was different. I am taking about LOST.

    Charlie scratching on a small paper about the most beautiful moments of his life before taking a journey of no return for his friends to the underwater swan station. I think it was the last episode of season 3 'not penny's boat'

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi... after a year I am reading your blog again :)... I'll second with your Jab We Met moment... Others I liked are 1. Rang De Basanti : End scene. 2. Tarey Zameen Par : When Aamir looks at the kid and almost cried... 3. Spider Man moments :). When he realizes his power and tests it :)... 4. 3 Idiots : When Sharman attempts suicide and friends take him to hospital... A moment when someone cries but still have to run to save...

    ReplyDelete
  32. royalangelsOctober 08, 2015

    nice one..

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment