I knew he never used his brains...

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan
18
As I write this, my handy mob-net has just conveyed to me that India won the 2nd test in Sri Lanka. Yeeeah. Whatever.
You see, with IPL sucking all the joy out of One Day cricket, leave alone Test matches, this win should mean nothing to me... if it wasn't for a moment of brilliance that I heard about, that occured in between the match..

Rewind to India's first innings. Virender Sehwag is standing tall among the ruins. The score stands at 327 for 9, with Viru on 199 not out. He's been there from ball one. The twin duo, Murali and the new wonder kid, Mendis, have broken India's back again. And now, there's just Ishant Sharma, as good a batsman as my mom ( ya,ya, ok... and me. ) to keep him company. Sehwag atlast got his chance to bat and thus reach the magical figure of 200 if he could only get the single.

And then, the unthinkable happened.

On the 3rd ball of Muralitharan's over, Sehwag hit the ball to a vacant part of the ground. The Indian team rose up to clap for this bald ball beater.
And he refused the run.

He said no.

He turned down the free single which would have got him to a milestone any batsman craves and few achieve.. just so that the number 11, Ishant, wouldn't be exposed to 3 full deliveries of and risk him getting out. He wanted to make sure the Indian score carried on, rather than reach a milestone and watch his partner get out and deserting him, as they had all day.
Then, being the drama queen that he is, Viru tried and almost got away with, of all things, a reverse sweep of the 5th ball of the over. Finally, he took a single of the last ball of the over and reached his magical 200.

The very next over, left with just 2 balls to defend, Ishant Sharma got out to the very first he faced, undoing Sehwag's plans.

Sehwag won the man of the match. Darn right. But in my books, it isn't for the 251 runs he scored in the match. It's for the one run he so selflessly refused. The run that mattered the most to any cricketer on this planet.. except him. For showing me the ending to a phrase I didn't know had another ending.

You see, I always believed that Sehwag never used his head while batting, getting out to 'brainless shots'. I was right. He never uses his head.. he uses his heart while he's out there. And for that, today, I respect him more than any cricketer I ever have.
I can't help but remember the countless times in recent years since Sehwag came into cricket that he was touted as Sachin's clone. Today, as far as I'm concerned, for this act alone, he has overtaken his mentor, records be damned.

I know one thing to be true always. The shrewd will win. You will never succeed or reach the heights of your career or field unless you use your grey matter. But, for me, the soft spot will always be with the 'also-rans'.. the people who thought with their hearts rather than their brains, and in doing so, brought a moment of brightness in this 'winner takes all' rat-race we call life. Because they dared to follow their hearts rather than follow protocol, they dared to do the unexpected when only the expected made sense... they dared to show they cared for others rather than themselves.

Applaud this brainless baldy, guys. He's finally made me realise that, besides the army, there really are some people in this land who do indeed put country over personal happiness.

Post a Comment

18Comments

Let me know what you think.

  1. whoah! even i always liked sehwag better than sachin (are the sachin fans going to break my door down and kill me tonight?) *nervously bites nails*

    ReplyDelete
  2. i din know of this...actually haven't seen the test at all.. but really selfless of sehwag.. atleast he proved that cricket is beyond money,fame and records..

    ReplyDelete
  3. havent seen the match.. and did not know all this.. but hats off to Sehwag.. after all what is life all about ? What is winning all about ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm.. interesting that an article on cricket gets 3 comments from gals before any guys....
    nags, i live with a die hard sachin fan.. trust me.. if i can survive his beatings, u can...
    illeen, true..
    veena.. hmm.. is the answer to that one "girls"? :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Indian Cricket Team....as a TEAM....whether Sachin or Sehwag, dosnt matter :0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hardly keep score of any cricket matches or even have the enthu for it, especially after the that term called 'match fixing' was used with the game.

    But, am glad I got to read this piece. Thanks for re-establishing my faith ..if not in the game, atleast in one person who proved there's still much hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meghna, you're one of the few who like the team as a whole i guess. I can think of any number of characters i'd like to replace/ force into retirement.

    Ash, true. It's funny how rare things like this aren't made a bigger deal by the media .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never appreciated cricket..

    but wat sehwag did was worth a post....

    Blogrolling u....

    Psst # just finished reading every single post of urs starting back from 2005... my last one week.. heaven knows...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Rats.. I'm.. Well, i'm speechless!
    I'd make you a 'finished Godyears' button for your site.. But you'd probably be the only one in the world to have it.. Or attach any value to it. But seriously, thanks for the major confidence boost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many years late??...but I am on my way!!! :-)

      Delete
    2. haha.. dont tell me Im gonna have to start making the button after all :)

      Delete
  10. that was awfully cute! i always liked him way better than sachin anyways. :)
    lovely post! made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol...
    I have started hating all cricketers equally!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes.. The cries for sachin's head grow stronger. Too bad noone has the guts to finally do what is needed. I guess we really need to start givin more importance to other sports

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'finished Godyears' button... mmm... sounds good.. who knows d reader may take it for sumthin else... me winkzz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm... My innocent mind draws a blank on any possible meanings.. Luckily, my perverted mind ( also known as 99.9% of my mind) thinks otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had noticed this about sehwag earlier as well..that he never thot twice to go for huge hits even when hes on 90s and 190s..selfless dumb guy better than clever wicked guy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha.. So true. So many times he does it. Whenever he gets near any of the 90s- be it 90, 190 or 290, he knows only one way to go.. Smashing

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment